[ Academia.edu profile | Google Scholar ]
- “Varieties of state-building in Africa: Elites, ideas and the politics of public sector reform.” ESID Working Paper 89, August 2017.
- “The role and responsibility of foreign aid in recipient political settlements,” Journal of International Development 29 (2), February 2017.
- “‘New’ Approaches Confront ‘Old’ Challenges in African Public Sector Reform,” with Badru Bukenya, Third World Quarterly 37 (1), January 2016.
- “Barriers to Political Analysis in Aid Bureaucracies: From Principle to Practice in DFID and the World Bank,” with David Hulme, World Development 74 (October 2015).
- “Leader, Protester, Enabler, Spoiler: Aid Strategies and Donor Politics in Institutional Assistance.” Development Policy Review 32 (3), May 2014.
- “Can Aid Bureaucracies Think Politically? The Administrative Challenges of Political Economic Analysis (PEA) in DfID and the World Bank”, with David Hulme, ESID Working Paper 33, April 2014.
- “Building State Capacity for Inclusive Development: The Politics of Public Sector Reform”, with Badru Bukenya, ESID Working Paper 25, October 2013.
- “Neopatrimonial Crises and the Strategy of Ethnic Violence: Darfur and Beyond.” In Failed and Failing States in Africa, ed. Margaret Grieco and Muna Ndulo (2010). Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- “Making political analysis useful: Adjusting and scaling”, ESID Briefing Paper 12, April 2015.
- “Mainstreaming political economy analysis (PEA) in donor agencies”, with David Hulme, ESID Briefing Paper 5, May 2014.
- “Why state capacity matters for the post-2015 development agenda and how we should measure it”, with Kunal Sen and Matthias vom Hau, ESID Briefing Paper 4, February 2014.
- “Effective States and Inclusive Development: An Introduction”, link, ESID Research Centre, November 2013.
- “Spain fails at development cooperation [España suspende en cooperación].” esglobal, 30 April 2013. Link to the text (in Spanish).
- “A New Military Strategy for Spain: Beyond Territorial Defense and Towards Naval Security [Una nueva estrategia militar para España: De la defensa territorial a la seguridad naval].” Foreign Policy in Spanish, 30 November 2012. Link to the text (in Spanish).